Hummus with Roasted Red Peppers
The TENA Kitchen Recipe
- 2 Red bell peppers (or 1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers)
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1 tbsp Grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 19 fl oz canned Chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- Move oven rack about 5" away from broiler. Turn oven to broil.
- Remove core from peppers and cut into large flat pieces. Arrange skin side up on baking sheet. Broil 5 - 10 minutes or until skin of peppers is charred.
- Put peppers in a resealable plastic bag for 15 minutes. Open the bag and peel away the charred pepper skin and discard. Keep 1-2 pieces of pepper to finely chop for a garnish. Coarsely chop the remaining peppers.
- In food processor bowl, combine tahini, lemon zest and water and process 30 seconds.
- Add olive oil, garlic, cumin and salt. Process 30 seconds.
- Add half of chick peas (garbanzo beans) and process 30 seconds.
- Scrape the processor bowl, add remaining chick peas and process 2 minutes, or until desired smoothness is achieved.
- Add coarsely chopped peppers and process 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Finely chop the reserved peppers for a garnish.